[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.3 roadmap / release schedule (preview)

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:36:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jon Edwards wrote:

> > hence, I would like to propose a rather near-term 1.3
> > release:
>
> Hi Tres,
>
> Any chance of the "Incoming RSS" feature being added in the
> near future (though not in 1.3 I guess), or has it been
> permanently "shelved"?  :-)

The proposal is not permanently shelved, but hasn't gotten
priority with ZC.  Adding it to 1.3 depends on how quickly
someone can implement it.  I can envision a rather simple
implementation which might be doable in a couple of days:

  - Derive a SyndicationChannel class from SkinnedFolder;
    give is a 'syndication_url' property, and extend the
    'edit' method and skins to handle it.

  - Add a 'refresh' method, which fetches the RSS from the
    'syndication_url', parses it, and replaces all Link objects
    in the folder (or those marked specially) with new Links
    constructed from the RSS records.

  - A robust implementation should probably keep track of the
    syndication policy settings of the remote source, and enforce
    them, to avoid DoSing the source.

I could imagine doing a prototype of this using only type objects
and skin methods:  the actual fetch of the RSS would need to
be an ExternalMethod, but everything else should be doable
through "normal" skin methods.

Andrew has a different notion of implementing inbound
syndication, the details of which have trickled from my brain.

Any takers?  "Code speaks", as the Good People (TM) say.

Zope Corporation      "Zope Dealers"       http://www.zope.org