[Zope-CMF] Object ownership

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
20 May 2002 08:34:38 -0400

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 00:34, John Morton wrote:

> Does anyone know of a simple method for finding out who owns a given object,
> and perhaps a means of transfering ownership around?
>
> I had a cursory look through the usual places; I guess if ownership is still
> entirely governed by local roles, then I might have been looking in the wrong
> place.

There are two different senses of ownership within Zope:

  - "executable" ownership defines the user whose roles mask those of
    the invoking user;  this one addresses some server-side trojan
    issues, and is mostly interesting for "methodish" objects
    ("Wesleyans"?)

  - the "Owner" local role defines who has the permissions associtated
    with that role for the object:  e.g., who can edit in in the private
    state (for the default workflow).  Users can be granted the owner
    local role via:

    o the ZMI (linked from the "Security" tab)

    o The "Local Roles" action for folders (note that the role is
      acquired by default)

    o Scripts calling 'manage_{add,set,del}LocalRoles' (defined in
      'AccessControl/Role.py').