[Zope-CMF] Re: [CMF] 84/ 2 Accept "Excessive time consumption by "Filesystem Directory View""

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:54:26 +0000

Dieter Maurer wrote:
>  > Checking only the modification time of directoreis doesn't always work as far as adding and deleting files is concerned.
> Can you please be more specific.
> Which tests fail and under what conditions, e.g. operating system.

I'm afraid I can't rememeber. What I'd suggest is making any changes you see as
appropriate and then run all the tests and check that they pass.

> Under Unix, I can only imagine two reasons why checking the modification
> time does not produce reliable results:
>
>   1. the resolution (seconds) of the modification time is not enough
>      to check add/delete/modification reliably.

The tests get around this by updating the file in a loop until the modification
date changes. Some of the tests were failing even with this :-(

>   2. When you look at a remote file system, then your time may not
>      be the same time as the servers time.

Nah, no remote file systems were involved.

> Unfortunately, I do not know much about Windows.

Windows actually seems moderately well behaved in this area. But it's been a
while so I may have forgotten something :-S

cheers,

Chris