[Zope-CMF] Skin Folders and Performance

Carl Rendell cer@sol43.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:53:05 -0800

Thanks to Alan and all the others who replied

 From all accounts it appears to be a non issue - deep layers of skin
folders and performance - so I'll move ahead with a few cursory tests.

One of our challenges is the product structure we use is layered - base
+ extras - and this makes things interesting when trying to distribute.
Applying skins is just one issue of many in that process.

If I have any hard evidence via test results, I will share them with
the group.

~C

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 07:22  PM, alan runyan wrote:

>> I believe there was some discussion in the group about this before,
>> but
>> I can't find the thread right now.
>
> yes
>
>> Looking at Plone and other CMF products we know that everyone adds
>> skins or in some cases skin hierarchy's to the portal_skins
>> properties.
>> My question.. are there demonstrated performance issues associated
>> with
>> having deep 'Layers' for skins?
>
> no
>
>> Intuitively it would seem that having to traverse all of the folders
>> pick a template would have some cost. Not sure if it is relevant.
>
> not relevant
>
>> I've thought about lessening the number of skin folders, and copying
>> product skins into these 'super skin' folders instead of merely
>> registering the skins and skin folders for each product.
>
> try it
>
>> Anyone care to weigh in, and/or point me to the thread that discussed
>> this?
>
> dont have time.
>
> wanna measure performance?  very simple.  make something unique
> like yummagumma.pt and let it use a macro defined in its folder.
> then use a macro that is at the end of the skinpath.  benchmark them.
> Acquistion looked up is done in C its very fast.  I believe what you
> will
> find lacking in speed is:
>
> - ZPT
> - portal_actions.listFilteredActionsFor()
> - traversing manually to something instead of using catalog
>
> if you do benchmarking test in -t 1 (one thread)
>
> cheers,
> ~runyaga

Carl E. Rendell
Solution43
Information Distribution and Process Consulting
cer@sol43.com
sol43.com