[Zope-CMF] making CMFCore independent from CMFDefault

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:55:03 +0100

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:

> >3.) Proposal: remove Syndicatable interface from CMFDefault.Interfaces
> >     Why: redundant
>

> Hmm, I think it would make more sense to move the interface, the tool,
> and the related skins into a separate product;  RSS syndication isn't
> (quite) universal enough to be a "core" service.  I guess I could live
> with having the interface in CMFCore.

I don't really care where this interface is. But I hate having it twice.

> >4.) Question: CMFCore.ActionsTool depends on CMFDefault.PropertiesTool
> >     and CMFDefault.SyndicationTool. What to do?
>

> Nothing.  The dependency is not on those modules, but on having tools
> which implement the specified interfaces.  This "dependency" is solely
> in the "default" configuration of the actions tool;  one could argue
> that the tool shouldn't know about *any* initial configuration, and move
> the responsibility for creating it to the "site setup" factory / tool.

Well. This isn't a matter of urgent necessity. But I would argue that
the initial configuration of the tool shouldn't expect all optional
tools to be installed.

> >5.) Proposal: remove Discussions and Membership interface from
> >     CMFCore.Interfaces
> >     Why: They seem to be replaced by newer interfaces and not used
> >     anymore.
>

> It might be better to update the interfaces in the 'Discussions' module
> to reflect the current state of DiscussionItem;  these interfaces
> *don't* overlap the "discussions tool" interface.  Likewise, the
> 'Membership' module defines out-of-date interfaces for Member (this one
> should probably be updated) and the MemberFolder (probably defunct).

Ok. Discussions.Discussable is implemented in
DiscussionItem.DiscussionItemContainer and
Discussions.DiscussionResponse in DiscussionItem.DiscussionItem .
You're right: Discussions should be updated.

But what about Membership.Member?
getHomeUrl is part of the portal_membership interface.
setMemberProperties is implemented in MemberData.
I can't see how to update the Member interface.

Same with Membership.MemberFolder, but you said that already.

The interfaces show up as api documentation in the help system. I really
think Membership should be removed.

Cheers,

Yuppie