[Zope-CMF] FUD

Lalo Martins lalo@laranja.org
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:12:12 -0300

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 06:22:45AM +0200, Erik Lange wrote:

> I don't get it... Plone is an complete alternative CMF, that just dosn't
> work - what's the point of that ?
>
> Why can't you work on CMF and make your product work with other products ?

Circa 1988:

"I don't get it... GNU is a complete alternative Unix, that just doesn't
work - what's the point of that ? Why can't you work on Unix and make your
software work with other software ?"

Circa 1995:

"I don't get it... 'Linux' is a complete alternative OS, that just doesn't
work - what's the point of that ? Why can't you work on Windows and make
your software work with other software ?"

Circa 1988:

"I don't get it... Zope is a complete alternative web-thingie, that just
doesn't work - what's the point of that ? Why can't you work on
[Apache/PHP/Perl/etcetcetc] and make your software work with other software?"

The majority is not always right, mr. Lange. CMF has some questionable
decisions, and contributing to CMF is not as easy as contributing to Plone.
ZPT has some questionable decisions, and writing my own is easier than
contributing to the existing ZPT (go figure). ZC is still getting the hang
of this "community development" thing, and till that happens, much
duplication and forking is bound to happen - and, know what? This is a
*GOOD* thing. Makes development happen faster.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
            Those who trade freedom for security