[Zope-CMF] Plone/Metadata/FUD

Erik Lange erik@mmmanager.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:30:13 +0200

At 05:08 PM 10/2/02, Alexander Limi wrote:

><quote who="Erik Lange">
>
> > In the install-script for MMM Skins, we call it a "plone rip-off"...
> > I've  suggested that we change the product name to "Plone skin" to Alan,
> > to  recognize the fine work of Plone, and to make it clear what it is: A
> > skin  that gives your CMF-site a Plone-look, and nothing more...
>
>As one of the two designers of the Plone skin, I thought I would send you
>my 2 cents on this.

Most welcome ! :-)

>Not to be harsh, but calling your skin anything with Plone would just
>cause confusion, as it has none of the distinguishing marks of the
>original look, apart from the blue color.

Nevertheless people constantly assumes that we use Plone on our sites... so
it must have something in common with the Plone 'thingy'

Check:
http://www.mmmanager.org/Members/erla/1018802975267402990/talkback/1018829961

>You break almost every consistency rule and design decision in your skin,

Yep - the rules set up by Plone - not the rules of CMF ;-)

That was what leed us to make the product in the first place...

>and it is nowhere near being Plone, neither from a usability nor a design
>perspective.

Nope - and we're proud of that ;-)

>I will not comment further on this, I find this discussion a bit
>far-fetched. Plone is a separate entity, and you should not mix in the
>Plone name if you do not intend to follow our guidelines.

I agree :-)

And we don't intend to follow your guidelines.. sorry.. but why should we ?

How about "CMF Zlone skin" for a name ? ;-)

Or "CMF BTTF Skin" ? BBTF = back to the future ;-)

Is it okay that we thanks Plone.org for the inspiration and basic layout in
the next release ?

Or should we simply just blame it all on Canada ? *ROTFL*

Regards,
Erik