[Zope-CMF] Plone/Metadata/FUD

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 12:54:14 +0100

seb bacon wrote:
> One observation I draw from this discussion is that we should have some
> kind of conceptual / infrastructural framework for differentiating
> between Implementations (CMFDefault / Plone) and Framework (CMFCore).
 >
 > Ever since the CMF began, most people consistently (and understandably)
 > don't get the relationship  between Core and Default.

That's 'cos there are severla things in CMFDefault which probably belong in
CMFCore. CMFTopic should probably be in there, DCWorfklow should definitely be
in there. The rest should either be merged into CMFDefault or not ship in the
default CMF package. I think that alone would clear up a lot of confusion about
what is and isn't CMF. I think things like Workspaces, Wiki, Tracker and
Collector could also do with loosing their CMF Prefix. It makes them sound liek
they're part of CMF core, wheras they feel more like Plone/MMManager/etc
equivalents to me.

> 1) Download the CMF (actually just CMFCore)
> 2) Download an implementation (currently a choice of CMFDefault, Plone,
> mmmanager...)

Yeah, this is a very good idea. It would also make sure that _all_ thye
necessary framework was in CMFCore, and would remove the need to for confusing
unpack-then-copy-subfolders-to-Products-directory which trips up so many new users.

cheers,

Chris