[Zope-CMF] trivial new portal folder type gives weird workflow/security behavior?

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 17:35:50 +0200

Ok, I've finally gotten to the bottom of this. Note that the bug only
appears when using DefaultWorkflow, and not with DCWorkflow.

The short version is that there's a bug in the way
utils._modifyPermissionMappings, and thus DefaultWorkflow, sets
permission mappings.

When an object is inserted into the DefaultWorkflow using notifyCreated,
the workflow sets the state to 'private' and calls
utils._modifyPermissionMappings with the mapping:
    {'View':                  {'Anonymous': 0, 'Reviewer': 0, 'Owner': 1},
     'Modify portal content': {'Owner': 1}}

But _modifyPermissionMappings has an incorrect logic in how it tries to
modify the existing mapping. What it does is, for each permission, try
to find the current roles that have this permission (through
rolesForPermissionOn), and if the desired map has to make a change then
(and only then) the roles are updated, and set to not acquire. In our
case, if Anonymous and Reviewer currently don't have View, and Owner has
it, then no change for that permission will happen (this is the normal
case that's actually happening). The problem is that if later on an
enclosing folder is changed, to allow Anonymous for instance, then
because the object still has its original setting of having permissions
acquired, it will become visible for Anonymous.

One solution would be to make _modifyPermissionMappings *not* look at
acquired permissions (which depend on the parents) when deciding what to
do to the map. Another would be to reuse the slightly different logic
that DCWorkflow has to change permission mappings.

Shane, what do you think?

Florent

In article <9415BF90-D669-11D6-BF39-000393580FEA@sol43.com> Carl write: