[Zope-CMF] workflow, folders, permissions

Mark McEahern mark@mceahern.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:33:26 -0500

Hi, I continue to struggle with what are probably basic concepts, so I
appreciate any and all feedback on my questions...

It seems like the CMF way for managing content is members create items in
their member folders, submit them for review, and then a reviewer sees the
pending item, and publishes it.  The resulting published item's URL retains
information about its origin; e.g.,

  http://www.mysite.com/Members/elmo/plotforworlddomination

Instead, I would like to have content created by content authors in
designated folders; e.g.,

  News Items -- news/
  Press Releases -- pr/

One thing I've learned is when creating the content folders, it's best to do
that from the portal rather than in the ZMI.  If I create a folder in the
ZMI, it won't be a Portal Folder, and so won't have things like,
listFolderContents, etc.  This post seems related:

  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2002-October/015943.html

So suppose I have:

  a portal folder -- pr/
  a portal type -- Press Release
  several custom roles -- PR author
                          PR reviewer

I want members of the PR author role to be able to add Press Release objects
to the pr/ folder.  But I don't want them to be able to publish them.  That
requires the PR reviewer role.  Once the PR reviewer publishes the Press
Release, the PR author should no longer be able to delete it.

I'm using DCWorkflow, which is great because I can view/edit the workflow
details from the ZMI.

I just don't really know where to begin configuring the portal so that
content is managed in that way.

Any tips?

Thanks,

// mark

p.s. I just noticed what appears to be a bug with custom roles in CMF 1.3:

  http://collector.zope.org/CMF/73

-