[Zope-CMF] Design question: Is multiple catalogs in a CMF a bad thing?

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
29 Oct 2002 12:07:25 +0000

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 19:50, Rocky Mazzeo wrote:
> I have a site that will have three
> renditions of a piece of content
> active at any point in time
> (development, staging, and production).
>
> The easiest way to implement this is to
> something like CMFStaging. However to
> keep the catalog clean of redundant
> items, I would like a catalog for each
> stage (each stage would be a Portal
> Folder).

Personally, I'd rather keep all indexed content in a single, predictable
place, and delegate the logic for which of the three content states to
search to the Catalog Tool.  I can envisage a number of situations where
it would be of benefit to the Site Administrator to be able to do a
query across all 3 content states (e.g. "Give me all content authored by
Freda").

On the other hand, I suppose there would be a small performance benefit
in minimising the size of your production catalog.  And you could
instate 3 different catalogs *inside* the Catalog Tool, and still
encapsulate the logic effectively.

> Given that new items are kept in their
> respective stage, does this sound too
> fragile?

I so no reason why it wouldn't work; but I don't see a compelling reason
for doing it that way, either.

seb