[Zope-CMF] Plong/CMF lack of speed?

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:03:55 -0500

Well.  There are numerous factors.  At one point (0.9?) Plone was rather
swift.
But through 1.0 we have loosened up our speed again on the side of
flexibility.
The biggest 'speed' issue is Plone trying to be as flexibile as can be
out-of-the-box.
I have not done any tests w/ CVS (which is practically beta, so if you know
how
to use CVS please use this ;) lately.  I would hope some people will do some
tests once we hit beta and maybe we can alleviate some bottlenecks.

1. ZPT is slower than DTML.  You may be shocked by this.  Please understand
that ZPT is 100% Python and DTML is written in C.  Also ZPT is "compiled"
where as DTML isnt and is much more like PHP.  Once ZPT is feature
complete -
I would not doubt that a C implementation will be released eventually.  I
would
compare the overhead to that of OO languages versus pure procedural
languages.
OO takes negligible penalties and is infintely more flexible.  I feel ZPT is
the same.

2. We have not optimized anything.  Also when people say 'Plone is slow' I
often
ask them, "Is the default Plone experience what you will deliver to a
client?"  If
the answer is Yes - then I say, "you get what you pay for ;)".  If you plan
on
developing a skin for your client usually you dont have to be infintely
flexible like
Plone and can optimize your ZPT and/or even use DTML as the delivery skin.

3. Plone is taking the approach of a traditional content management system
not
a delivery system.  Like Zope Corp practices - its recommended for speedy
sites to implement proxy caching servers so that you dont take penalties on
 grabbing static content from the ZODB.  CMF1.3 appears to be faster than
previous verisons of CMF. I think of Plone like Interwoven - only
participating
in the management of content and not responsible in the delivery of content.
Saying this I can escape all speed accusations, of course ;-p

cheers,
~runyaga
p.s. if you want to help out with Plone/CMF - we are in need of testing and
QA.
We can try to help diagnose speed issues and isolate them.  But we need
help.
Please test and give us your results.