[Zope-CMF] Cookie Crumbler, Members Only CMF Site and WebDav -- solution included

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:38:22 +0300

Webdav, Office, Webfolders and CMF. Guess my problem? Well. Webdav from
office seems to work fine, even if CMF site uses cookie crumbler - as
long as logging into the site is not required before anything else is
shown. So whenever I have a Members only CMF Portal - so on root folder
access contents information and view is denied from anonymous - Webdav
starts to make problems.

If I login with MS Webfolders to Zope, I can browse the site ok - but
creating new content creates errors and no files are created. However if
  I test the same setup, but change the root folder to have view and
access everything works. This was however not so nice solution, since
the whole point of Members only Portal was to allow only members in -
even to the front page.

I tested the same setup with Cadaver, which had no problems in either
case. It asked me to login very politely. This lead me to think that the
problem was just in the webfolders way of getting/asking authentication
from the user.

Solution finally was to include the username and password explicitly in
the webdav link in windows, example.
http://user:password@myhost:8081/Intranet/ .

This is not the most elegant, since this means that user has to leave
password visible in the webfolder link, but works for now. If someone
has a better solution, I would be very delighted to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody else too.

A couple of links:

About webdav and cookie crumbler:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1206966