[Zope-CMF] need to link one folder from another

Rocky Burt rocky.burt@bricsnet.com
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:54:59 -0400

Ok... I need to add an existing folder (somewhere else in the zodb) to my skin path (portal_skins).  But I can't copy because I require the ability to change the items in one folder (the source) and have it reflected in the linked folder (the one that exists in portal_skins).  Basically I require something like Filesystem Directory View (that comes with CMFCore) but to point back at the zodb rather than the filesystem.

I've tried the following:

  1. PortableHole (had the most success)
        Had a problem that seemed like a caching issue.  The first time I start the Zope server, I try to load something from the path (logo.jpg for example) and it ignores my PortableHole'd folders.  But if I use the ZMI to view the contents of my PortableHold (where I see the source folder contents), and then I leave the ZMI and try to load something from the path (logo.jpg for example), it pics up logo.jpe fine from my PortableHole.  If i restart the server, it no longer picks up my PortableHole contents (and the cycle consists).

  2. LinkedFolder
        Doesn't appear to work with skin paths (portal_skins) at all.  No success with this one.

  3. Reference
        If I add create a Reference with an id that exists in the skin path, bizarre things occur.  All of a sudden all items in portal_skins (all skin directories) show up with broken product icons.  If I add a Reference with an id that doesn't exist in the skin path, it behaves how I would expect.  But there's not much use for a folder in portal_skins if I can't actually add it to the skin path :/

So, I've done sooooo much googling and I can't seem to figure this one out.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,
Rocky