[Zope-CMF] regarding CMFDeployment

k_vertigo k_vertigo@objectrealms.net
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:55:45 +0200

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Kapil,
>
> I just spotted CMFDeployment.  It sounds interesting, but I'd like to
know
> what you're envisioning.  Can you tell me and the CMF list:
>
> - Is it different from CMFStaging (other than being more finished)?

in terms of functionally and implementation they are orthogonal.
at a higher semantic level, the major difference is content delivery.

cmf deployment's primary focus is about making static renderings of a site
suitable for being served by another web server.

cmf staging is a number of things
- versioning, an api tool on top of zope version control product.
- locking, a tool for locking content from edits.
- staging, a tool for moving content versions between containers.

all of which can be used in conjunction with cmf deployment.

cmf deployment's primary use case during development, was to deploy
multiple sites living on different isolated networks, with all content
managed from a single cmf instance.

with cmf staging, zope is ultimately doing content delivery for
production. with cmf deployment zope isn't involved in doing content
delivery.

> - What makes it specific to CMF?

a number of small things. nothing intrinsic.

> - Will it be integrated into Plone?

i haven't really thought about it.

cheers,

kapil