[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] Dublin Core Creator(s): revised proposal

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Wed Dec 17 10:28:26 EST 2003

Yuppie wrote:
> - There were some votes for Creator and Contributor methods that return
> a string representation of the stored Dublin Core elements. It was
> proposed to make them aliases of Creators() and Contributors().
>
> I don't believe it's a good idea to do that:
>
> 1.) Creator() and Contributor() would just return a (more or less) valid
> Dublin Core element in the case of exactly one creator / contributor.
>
> 2.) Existing code expects exactly one creator returned by Creator(). The
> Creator FieldIndex becomes un-searchable with multiple creators, skin
> methods like content_byline.pt will no longer work as expected.
>

> That leads me to this change in my proposal:
>
> Creator() and Contributor() should return only the *first* element.

I'm convinced, the CMF DublinCore implementation seems to be designed
for getting (and setting) metadata of content, /not/ for implementing
names of the DC Metadata Element Set [DCMES]. A Creator is just one item
of many Creators, like many files in one directory. That same rule could
apply to all elements.

As I understand the DCMI Encoding Guidelines[1], these names are only
important for the output (e.g. in a RDF[3] file).

[1] <http://dublincore.org/resources/expressions/>
[2] <http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/FAQ.html#could>

Tonico