[Zope-CMF] Multilingual site with CMF/Plone?

Rainer Thaden Rainer Thaden <thadi@gmx.de>
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:18:12 +0100

On 11 February 2003, Rainer Thaden said:

>> Use the install method delivered with the LocCMFProduct.
>> It registers the types and skins, so that Employee_view.pt can be
>> located. You'll find documentation how to use it in INSTALL.txt.
>Oooh, documentation -- what a treat.  Thank you for gently reminding
>me.  ;-)  I was under the false impression that "tar -xzf" or "unzip"
>was all that was needed to install a Zope product.  Guess not -- oops!

You don't need it for Zope but for CMF.

>Speaking of which: I'm now in the process of making my own content type
>using your localized DublinCore implementation, which I have taken the
>liberty of copying into my product and renaming to LocDublinCoreImpl.
>It mostly makes sense,

Thank God!

>but I have one question:
>  * why do you bother having a 'language' property as part of the
>    metadata, when clearly there are multiple languages, and the
>    list of languages can be derived from each individual property?
>    Eg. the list of languages that the title is available in is
>      self._local_properties['title'].keys()
>    -- isn't that a more useful/accurate list than the value in
>    the 'language' property?

>  * even more puzzling, why is 'language' a localized attribute?
>    What's the point of storing a separate 'language' property for
>    each language that this resource is available in?

The multilingual language property you mention is a part of the
metadata provided by the DublinCore. You can set it via the
metadata_edit_form. You could e.g. use 'de' and 'en' as localizer
language and 'en-US' and 'de-AT' as metadata value.

I didn't think much about that and just changed the metadata methods
to my needs. Of course you can change the Language() method of
DublinCore to return the Localizer_Language. It's up to you.

--
Regards,
 Rainer                          mailto:thadi@gmx.de