[Zope-CMF] unit test weirdness.

Mark McEahern marklists@mceahern.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:04:19 -0600

[Tres Seaver]
> *That* is the evil part.  $SOFTWARE_HOME/lib/python/Products should
> *not* contain "third-party" products;  those should be installed either
> into $INSTANCE_HOME/Products or into a "shared" products directory
> (using the PRODUCTS_PATH variable).
>
> Otherwise you muddy what needs to be done to upgrade Zope itself.

[This sets off a big light bulb for me!]

Tres, thanks for this feedback.  This is exactly the kick in the pants I
needed to get over my laziness about this particular issue.  It didn't occur
to me that my tendency to clutter SOFTWARE_HOME was the stumbling block.
(I've been assuming that the *only* reason to use INSTANCE_HOME is if I want
multiple instances.  What you're saying--and it makes perfect sense--is that
even if I have only a single Zope instance, from a configuration management
point of view I should still use INSTANCE_HOME.  Presumably, then, this
applies to the CMF Products as well?  Doh, I look in CMF/INSTALL.txt and it
says to copy/move/link them to INSTANCE_HOME.  Double Doh!)  I assume what
this means is that if I install my products into INSTANCE_HOME, then I need
some way for Zope to *know about* my product when running tests.  And
unraveling *that* is essentially the "machinery" you were referring to?

I am but an egg.

> If you want to redistribute your product, you must not assume that it
> will be installed into the SOFTWARE_HOME.

Got it.  Thanks!

> I think we can update the tests to be compatible with 2.6.1, using the
> 'try: Zope.setup()' bit.  We *won't* be updating them to remove the
> 'import Zope'.

Sounds good to me.

Again, thanks!

// m