[Zope-CMF] Membership by approval - question

Rob Boyd boydrobh@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:43:05 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone implemented membership-by-review, that is,
visitors don't create their own membership, but
rather, prospective members apply and their
application goes into a workflow for managers to
review?  I've been mulling about the design of this,
and my thoughts have been either: A)create a new type,
like 'JoinRequest', and create a workflow for it, or
B)subclass CMFCollector, have member applications
basically be a request put into the collector, and
tailor my workflow for it.

Any thoughts or experiences on either, or a different
approach?  I'm new to CMF, so I could easily be
missing the obvious.  It seems if I go with approach
A, then these requests get lumped in with all other
content publishing requests, whereas the Collector
approach allows you to dedicate an area for just these
request types.  But the Collector approach could be
overkill for such a simple thing (member submits join
request, manager approves->register member, or manager
denies->do something else).

Thanks,
Rob