[Zope-CMF] CMF 1.4 Roadmap

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:27:32 -0800

It's quite likely that, eventually, ZC's PageDesign stuff would serve as a
good technology for a composition framework, where a composite "asset" would
be created (and would have its own template for rendering itself -
essentially a visual container for other assets).  The composite asset would
map assets used inside its compositions to named slots, and delegate
rendering of that slot to each asset that lives in that slot.

If I understand correctly, an example: you could create, for example, a
Press Release as a document asset.  You could add a photo as an image asset.
You could then create a composite asset that used a standard template for
press releases.  You could then click on a frame around an empty slot in
"design" mode in your browser (a preview mode for managing the composite),
and a pop-up window would come up allowing you to query the Catalog for an
asset to put into the slot, get it's id, and do some XML-RPC magic in
JavaScript to associate it (and you would add your text and photo to the
composition this way).  All this, of course, makes the most sense for a
publishing system that isn't necessarily document-centric (a composition is
just a placeholder for mappings of assets to slots, and a template that
renders them), and might not be the most appropriate solution to compound
"documents" - but I'm not sure...

This is, at least, how I understand the theoretical possibilities of what
could be done.  I haven't actually used this, but I guess it is a thought.

Sean