[Zope-CMF] Protecting downloadable content by password

Raphael Ritz r.ritz@biologie.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:16:11 +0200

Rainer Thaden wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i have some files on my page which should be accessible by people who
>are given a password (students who can download material from our
>homepage). What's the best way to achiecve that?
>I tried to create a user folder inside a folder in my CMF site with a
>user 'guest', but no matter which roles i give this user i get a login
>failure.

Why don't you use the workflow for this? You can make file objects and
their views
(including download) subject to a workflow like any other portal
content. If the files
reside in the filesystem and you only want to control  their access  you
may want
to use PloneExternalFile (in a non-Plone site it should be sufficient to
adjust the
intall script and the skins).
You can get PloneExternalFile from http://www.neuroinf.de/LabTools

Raphael