[Zope-CMF] reindexObject problem

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:13:28 +0100

Hi!

Tres Seaver wrote:
> This is a bug in the index.

Ok. So I have to find out if this is fixed in the latest release of
TextIndexNG or report a bug.

>>But than I found this in ZCatalog.CatalogAwareness:
>>
>>     def reindex_object(self):
>>         self.unindex_object()      # calls uncatalog_object
>>         self.index_object()        # calls catalog_object

[...]
> That is a fossil, and likely a *huge* performance drag if it is actually
> being called.  Reindexing should *not* unindex first;  the only time
> an object should be unindexed is when its UID (the physical path in most
> cases) is no longer valid (i.e., it has moved or been deleted).
>
> The tool is doing the Right Thing (TM) by not uncataloguing first. Can
> you determine whether CatalogAwareness.reindex_object is ever actually
> called?  We should probably just remove it, in any case.

Here my grep results:

1.) The only place reindex_object is used inside Zope is
HelpTopic.HelpTopicBase . (In fact HelpTopicBase has its own
reindex_object method doing the same.)

2.) ZNuxDocument and LocalContent (part of Localizer) call it.

Cheers,

Yuppie