[Zope-CMF] transparent folder

David Hart dhart@atlantisblue.com.au
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:35:17 +1100

Hi Guys,

Joachim Werner wrote:

> Gregoire Weber schrieb:
>
>> IMO it's better to extend PortalFolder with the relevant methods, as
>> I've done it. Have a look at the code below.
>

> That makes sense. But I don't really recomment TransparentFolder
> functionality any more. It really can cause serious performance
> problems, especially if you nest them ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Joachim Werner

Extending PortalFolder with OrderedObjectManager is long-term approach
I've planned to take. Thanks for the chunk of OrderedPortalFolder.py!
I'll give it a try. Do you have complementary OrderedSkinnedFolder and
OrderedPloneFolder bits? I presume they're changed only by superclassing
OrderedPortalFolder instead of PortalFolder?

The OrderedFolder hack was simply a proof-of-concept to see what would
break. I was encouraged to go the route of extending CMF with
OrderedObjectManager/OrderedFolder because of the recent news of
OrderedObjectManager's inclusion in Zope 2.7, which is great news!

TransparentFolder is really a hack for what I want to achieve, and I
would never nest them! :) What would really be useful is efficient N-key
sorting for OrderedObjectManager. The ZMI UI might be a bit hard to
present, but it would be very powerful.

But back to invokeFactory... any idea what's causing it to misbehave? Am
I using it properly?

Cheers,

Dave Hart