[Zope-CMF] Historical revisions in CMF

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:05:55 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Florent Guillaume" <fg@nuxeo.com>

> In article <1048700679.20407.4.camel@beauty> you write:
> > On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 11:32, Ausum Studio wrote:
> > > I've enabled CMF to handle revisions by allowing it to inherit from
> > > OFS.History, on a experimental basis, and it works fine so far. If you
want
(...)

> > > I'll publish a How-to on this subject, provided there's no code
conflicts
> > > I'm not aware of. :)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Given a working example, with reasonable testing:  can anyone see /
> > think of a reason not to land this for 1.4?
>
> I'm wary of using ZODB-level versionning to provide user-level or
> application-level versionning. In practice we have found it doesn't
> work. It prevents one from packing the database as you want to minimize
> space, and it doesn't give you any flexibility in how versions are
> handled.
>
> In our experience, versionning and archiving must be coded into the
> application itself, and bound to a workflow, with explicit policies to
> decide how long and under what circumstances you keep archived versions.
>
> Archiving is fundamentally a workflow operation.

That is for one type of archiving. If all applications needed to store
versions by creating new objects (to prevent the effect of packing the
database), I hardly could buy the idea of the usefulness of having an
always-append database. ;)

I agree that we need an API for this stuff (ZopeVersionControl maybe), but
up to this moment I can't find a reason why not to give the CMF the ability
to retrieve what the ZODB does already store in its guts by default.

Ausum

ps.: Zope Version Control wiki:
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ZopeVersionControl/FrontPage