[Zope-CMF] Historical revisions in CMF (was Re: CMF newbie questions)

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
29 Mar 2003 13:31:39 +0100

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 01:29, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Florent Guillaume wrote at 2003-3-27 15:00 +0100:
>  > ....
>  > I'm wary of using ZODB-level versionning to provide user-level or
>  > application-level versionning. In practice we have found it doesn't
>  > work. It prevents one from packing the database as you want to minimize
>  > space,
>
> This can be tackled (--> Directory Storage; HCFileStorage).
>
>  > and it doesn't give you any flexibility in how versions are
>  > handled.
>
> What do you need beyond controlling their lifetime?

Oh, many things, for instance:

 - having different lifetimes in differents parts of the site

 - having different lifetimes depending on the object's portal type

 - having different access rights on the archives than on the current
   version

 - giving an administrator the possibility to manually erase some
   archived versions

 - archiving only the "major" versions, and not keeping minor revisions
   (with major/minor defined by the application or user)

All this is quite natural when expressed in terms of workflow.

I'm not against providing an easy access to what's alreay in the ZODB, I
just wanted to point out that many real-life needs go way beyond that.

Florent