[Zope-CMF] Re: using APE to offload a portion of an intranet from the ZODB

larry j.c. prikockis alaric@ljcp.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 22:40:55 -0400

Yeah... I've played with CMFExtFile (as well as ExternalFile which is
actually better suited since it allows access to filesystem files -in
place-).  I've also looked at LocalFS... biggest problem with LocalFS for
my purposes is that it becomes very cumbersome and inefficient to access
individual files from within Zope-- it's easy to access an entire filesystem
 directory as a
Zope object, but I need to be able to work with individual files -as if-
they were Zope objects.

CMFExtFile doesn't allow the process of adding new files to the filesystem
(outside of Zope) and having them instantiated as Zope objects without
additional work.

ExternalFile might do what I need- but it'd require some tinkering to get
it to play nicely with CMF/Plone.

In theory- APE allows the best of all worlds since, again, in theory,
wouldn't require the application CMF/Plone+any additional code to even
KNOW that some objects live on the filesystem instead of ZODB.  One thing
I need to understand better is how readily accessible objects stored on
the filesystem are to programs other than Zope (I need to re-read Shane's
docs again and get a better handle on what exactly is going on).

sorry for the long-winded response... but that's basically the landscape
as I understand it.  Essentially, I'm making sure I exhaust any 'lazy'
solutions to my problem before I dive in and have to deal with
modifying/writing code (I'm a python novice at best).