[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] delete members: related changes and updated proposal

seb bacon seb at jamkit.com
Tue Sep 9 20:06:39 EDT 2003

Yuppie wrote:
> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > > - Having Zope 3 in mind, I guess it's too late to start a refactoring
> > > like that.
> >
> > What do you mean by this?
>
> I don't know what the future will bring. But I feel the end of CMF - at
> least as we know it today - is near.

I'd wager that you're wrong (depending on your value of 'near' ;-)

The Zope3 release schedule is very uncertain.  Zope X3 was originally
scheduled for release on September 1, and AFAICT it's still a long way
from that.  Zope 3.0 was slated for a release date of March 2004, based
on that already-slipped timescale.

> CMF migration will depend on Zope 2 to Zope 3 migration. So as long as
> the Zope migration path isn't clear, it's hard to tell what exactly will
> happen to CMF.

I guess that at the least, the CMF will continue to be relevant right up
to and beyond Zope 3.0's release in (maybe?) September 2004; and
possibly, the lack of a decent upgrade path in the months immediately
following the release of Zope X3 will engender a long-lived Zope2-based
fork, and the CMF will continue to develop on that basis.  I can imagine
the latter scenario especially being driven by the Plone community.

Whatever happens, I don't think there's cause for putting off
refactorings or the like.  The End is Not Nigh :-)

seb