[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] delete members: related changes and updated proposal

Yuppie schubbe at web.de
Wed Sep 10 18:36:46 EDT 2003

Hi!

seb bacon wrote:
> Yuppie wrote:
>
>> seb bacon wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever happens, I don't think there's cause for putting off
>>> refactorings or the like.  The End is Not Nigh :-)
>

>> ... we'll have an 1.5 release at the end of this year and maybe an 1.6
>> release in summer/autumn 2004. After that there will be only
>> maintenance releases or releases focused on migration.
>

> But!
>
> (a) your timescale could be wrong;

Only time will tell ...

> (b) there could easily be a
> long-lived CMF1x/Zope2x fork;

Don't think so. As soon as Zope 3 is a stable platform, everybody
switches to Zope 3. Why using CMF1x/Zope2x if there is a much better
platform? Of course there are many old sites and products that are not
worth to migrate to Zope 3. But nobody will invest much time in
developing them further.

A different scenario would be backports to Zope 2 that make the
transition smoother.

> (c) parts of the CMF API could be lifted
> intact to Zope3, independently of backward compatibility issues.

If you're talking about concepts and interfaces, not implementations, I
agree.

> I suppose my point is that no-one knows if / when / what is going to
> happen, which leads me to conclude that we may as well continue as if
> *nothing* is going to happen.  The worst thing that could happen is that
> some changes could turn out to have been a minor waste of time.

I just was talking about my personal priorities and what I want to do
with my time. Other people have other priorities. I'm fine with that.

Cheers,
	Yuppie