[Zope-CMF] Replication And Workflows - "Nightmare of CMF Street"

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Tue Sep 16 15:47:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 15:23, Norfleet, Sheppard S. wrote:
> Replication And Workflows
> "Nightmare of CMF Street"
>
> I am having a heck of a time with my application level replication.  I am
> able to recreate the object, but apparently the workflow_history attribute
> does not seem to travel with the object its tied to.  This seems to be the
> case because after I assign the object to the parent on the mirror machine
> using xxx._setObject() of the replicated object, the state always seems to
> fall back to 'created'.
>
> I hate it when I don't understand whats going on, the only thing I can see
> thats different or weird is that the WorkflowTool uses a PeristentMapping as
> a dictionary instead of a plain jane dict {}.  Since its an attribute of the
> object, why the special persistant object? I mean its gonna get pickled and
> jarred anyway.

What version of CMF?

In earlier verisons of CMF, the workflow was notified that cloned
objects had been created via the object's 'manage_afterAdd' method;
more recent versions correct this to do the notification in
'manage_afterClone'.  The symptom in those case was that objects would
"revert" to the private workflow state when copied and pasted between
folders.

The behavior is apparently still not acceptable for some use cases. See:

  - http://collector.zope.org/CMF/176

  - http://collector.zope.org/CMF/184

BTW, please don't reply-with-quoting to the entire digest!

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com