[Zope-CMF] Re: CMFUid isn't generating real uids

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Mon Aug 16 07:08:37 EDT 2004

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> robert rottermann wrote:
>
>> they are different. UUID is more generall.
>> But why should they have a different goals?
>

> Because the goal of a UID is to generate an id for use withing a limited
> scope. An UUID has an unlimited scope. UUID is something you use when
> you know that the think that needs an ID will have to be used all over
> the world. LDAP fields are good examples of this. So they typically are
> called.12.334534.5434.5365.123232.34. A bit unweildy.

I do not say that windows represents the best of all worlds. But using
it you can not pick your nose without generating a couple of them.
And you never have to know.
Dealing with them directly is a pain. However you seldomly do.
And if you do it makes no real difference whether you have to enter
12.334534.5434.5365.123232.34.
or
12.334534.5434.
An UID how many U it may sport, should never be entered "by  hand".

> A UID is something you need to avoid two people or two processes or two
> documents claiming the same id, within a limited scope, such as a folder
> or a site. One of the most common need is so that you don't get some
> kind of weird clash when two people press the same button simultaneously.
>
>> Mere UID are not worth any effort since their scope is so limited!
>

> Sure it is. Because it's needed so often. In 20 years of computing I
> have never needed to write a piece of software that create a UUID. Maybe
> it's just me...

Only because you have not dealt with sharing documents.
The moment you do, you start to wish you had a way to uniquely identify
documents or parts of documents.
I was involved in creating a Document-Management system some 15 years
ago for users of a CAD system (Autocad). Allready then we had to provide
a solution for this very problem, and where happy that we (much later)
could use Microsoft s GUUID.

I think it would be wrong not to use a UUID when ever a UID is called for.

Robert