[Zope-CMF] CMF or Plone Applications?

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 19 17:56:33 EST 2004

I found a thread that seemed pretty strong about the potential
incorporation of Archetypes into CMF 1.5 but it seemed unresolved since
there are a couple of schema based products and eventually there will
be the Zope3 schemas.  So not really sure what happened or what is the
status or whether anyone has hints somewhere on removing the Plone
dependencies.

In any case, I have spent much of the day starting my tableless CMF
default main_template.  It is going well but I see where I will need to
start coding if I want some some functionality back on a couple of
things. Oh well, it's going to have to be done but I am focusing on
critical stuff and improve as I go along.

Also the other thing I am encountering is the immediate loss of CSS
caching.  The nouvelle skin has an example of using base properties
with dtml CSS which I am following  - along with default table zpl,
removing tables and making divs, adding my own peices, etc but nothing
there for caching.  Anyway all I want is a skins product with all files
on the filesystem but the CSS will need to be cached.  Will have to
look into this or maybe someone's got an obvious answer. It's just that
I haven't had to worry about it before.  I know I will need to add a
cache manager but beyond that haven't investigated.

One thing is for sure.  I feel like I should have done this a while
ago.  I am sure I will have a better idea of what I have got in the
end.  Maybe there is a group of like-minded folks and we can put a CMF
default Archetypes product of all the hacked pieces together to a ZPL
product that could work  (if someone has not done this already).  It
seems sort of sad and maybe it is to even consider it over licensing
issues - but it would be good to have the functionality even if it adds
some weight to CMF for situations when you need it.   It is still one
less thing than with Plone added too and could fit the bill for clients
where GPL is no go situation.

Regards,
David