[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] CMF 1.5 roadmap?

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Thu Feb 26 13:31:30 EST 2004

Alexander Limi wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:03:55 -0500, Tres Seaver <tseaver at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> My ambitions for the release have waxed and waned.  At this point, I
>> would like to include CMFActionIcons in the release, and add an
>> Epoz-friendly skin which uses both action icons and Epoz.  I haven't
>> thought about collector issues.
>

> Just out of curiousity - what is the rationale behind CMFActionIcons?
> Shouldn't the default actions be extended to be able to have an image
> property instead of tacking it on with an additional tool like this?

CMFActionIcons are built around the notion that icons should *not* be a
property of individual actions;  the site admin should be able to define
icons for "logical" actions, based on category+action ID, and have them
applied sitewide.  So, for instance, the 'object+edit' action should
have a consistent icon, no matter what content type you are dealing with.

Funny that you are asking, as I had a request to release CMFActionIcons
so that Plone 2 could use it. :)  Originally, it was an "unreleased CVS
orphan", extracted from the Boston.com CMS.

> There are quite a few extensions that would be useful to the current
> concept of actions, especially with regards to the UI side - for
> example,  having a Description attribute is a must to be able to produce
> a helpful  UI using actions - in my opinion.

+0, I think.

Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com