[Zope-CMF] Re: Initial checkin of CMFUid (unique ids) and example usage diff for CMFDefault.Favorite

Gregoire Weber gregweb at gmx.ch
Thu Jul 22 06:51:14 EDT 2004

Chris,

Hmmm, I'm not sure I got the point from your post. I'll try to answer anyway.

At 10:05 22.07.2004 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
>The need for application-level uid's is a constant source of annoyance for me. We need uid's at the storage layer, why can't these be leveraged at the application level?

Where does application level begin for you?

>Is this need for further complexity a justifiable one?

The unique id tools are way less complex than the already existing CMFCore tools.
They're actually pretty simple. I have to admit the interfaces look complex, but
that's mainly because they're derived from the uniqe id implementation of Zope3.

Further if your application doesn't use the unique ids the code doesn't even get
invoked (Ok, that's right only for 100% as long you delete the 'cmf_uid' index
and metadata on your portal catalog).

Gregoire