[Zope-CMF] Is unmodified CMF useless? Some Plone questions.

Peter Shute (NUW) pshute at nuw.org.au
Tue May 11 05:07:38 EDT 2004

I've been playing with Zope and now CMF for a few days now.  I've been
trying to see what they can do, and have come to the conclusion that without
a lot of modifications the basic sites they create are fairly useless for
anything.

Is that correct, or have I missed some basic features?

I've now installed Plone, and this is much more like what I was expecting,
so here are some questions:

1. I don't quite understand the relationship between CMF and Plone.  They're
both Zope products, but is Plone dependent on CMF or the other way around?

2. Does this mailing list cover Plone as well as CMF, or is there a more
appropriate one?  I couldn't see one on the Zope site.

3. I installed the latest CMF, then uninstalled it before installing Plone,
because I noticed that it came with CMF.  Am I now running an older version
of CMF, and if so what happens if I upgrade it?

4. How do you say Plone?  Does is sound like "clone", or is it PL-1?