[Zope-CMF] cmfuid

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sat Nov 20 15:58:45 EST 2004

I had a need for "globally unique ids" and was taking a look at CMFUid
for this purpose but I decided that the expense of writing to the
database to get a unique id was too much for my particular application.

I was wondering if people had opinions on making UIDs compliant with the
IETF draft at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mealling-uuid-urn-03.txt
instead of using a database-generated serial number.

Benefits:

 - No database writes necessary to generate a unique id (as long as
   you have probability/entropy on your side).

 - Well-understood format due to spec.

Downsides:

 - Need to be careful to have a viable source of entropy on the system
   you're generating UUIDs on if you want to use "Version 4" UUIDs
   (128-bit completely random numbers).

Thoughts?

- C