[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] enhancing Actions: a rough proposal

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Sun Nov 28 13:15:24 EST 2004

Hi Dieter!

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> You often have the distinction between new and existing applications.
> Therefore, you often have several ways to do something; maybe
> some deprecated.

Of course we can't remove features from one day to the other. But having
only one recommended way to do something makes life easier.

>>Migrating Actions of existing instances can be done using CMFSetup:
>>exporting - importing - done.
>
> Maybe, your proposal comes to early, at least for me.
> I did not yet look at CMFSetup (or CMF 1.5 in general).
> What I know about it is what I read in this mailing list.
>
> If it really is that easy, fine.

Currently you just can import profiles that are registered by products,
but I hope we can change that. And existing instances don't have a
SetupTool. Besides that, it should really be that easy.

> Nevertheless, a script taking care of the current standard
> case (a class with a sequences of action definitions) by
> generating the corresponding CMFSetup profile would
> greatly increase acceptability of your proposal.

That's not fair. The need to update your products has not much to do
with my proposal.

> There is a disadvantage of inheritance.
>
>     When you inherit from a class, you assume some implementation
>     details (e.g. that is behaves like an "ActionProvider").
>
> When you can make the changes to the standard tools
> in a way that inheriting classes
> can easily add "ActionProviderBase" to work around
> the loss of this base class in the inherited class,
> then this loss should not be a problem.

That should be easy.

Cheers,
	Yuppie