[Zope-CMF] [dev] encoding issues: showstoppers for the CMF 1.5 release?

yuppie y.2004_ at wcm-solutions.de
Thu Oct 7 08:36:53 EDT 2004

Hi!

There are two encoding related issues I'd like to see resolved before
CMF 1.5 is released. Both issues lead to mixed encodings and as a result
to UnicodeDecodeErrors in Page Templates.

A.) RSS Syndication fail on non-ascii
-------------------------------------
http://collector.zope.org/CMF/261

affected: CMFDefault syndication of content with other encodings than
ascii or unicode

This is a regression caused by the DTML to ZPT migration. If we agree on
adding a 'default_charset' property to CMF sites, the issue is easy to
fix by converting all strings passed to the template.

Are there better solutions? What should be the default 'default_charset'?

B.) CMFSetup: import of type infos broken
http://collector.zope.org/CMF/287

affected: CMFSetup imports. While you might not see any errors if your
content is ascii or unicode, all sites are inconsistent after imports. I
stumbled over this with type infos, but it looks like a general problem.

There are some other open CMFSetup issues, but I think this one is a
real showstopper. And so far I have no good idea how to fix this.

These are my thoughts so far, any help with this is welcome:

1.) While it might be a future use case for CMFSetup to migrate
properties from string to unicode, for now we have to make sure that
imported properties are not unicode.

2.) If we don't specify an encoding, CMFSetup imports all properties as
unicode. To convert unicode to string at a later point, we have to
specify an encoding as well.

Is there a way to export / import "raw" property values, avoiding the
need to specify an encoding?

What would be a good default encoding? I guess it might sometimes not be
the same as the 'default_charset' for content. Should we restrict
configuration data to ascii?

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
	Yuppie