[Zope-CMF] catalog tool

computing project computer-project at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 10:07:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to package up some tools I've written, and I've come across one
bit that is proving tricky with CMF.  I will try and explain.

My tool allows users to rate content in a site, and stores information about
their responses in a list.  So ratings can apply to any content at all, the
tool decorates the object with the data about the responses, and deals with
that side of things.  However, I want to be able to make this work with the
catalog, so I can store some information about the last rating, when it was,
the average etc and search against it.

I could use more attributes to store these calculations whenever a new
rating is added, but I was thinking of following the same approach as for
workflow variables - my tool provides some catalog variables that are fed
into the indexing wrapper.  Also I can add new calculations much more easily
this way.

To avoid creating my own catalog tool tied to my new tool, I was toying with
the idea of extending the catalog tool so it had a list of tools that could
provide catalog variables.  Similar (well okay virtually identical) to the
way the actions tool has a list of action providers that it consults.  Is
this something that would be useful as a patch for the CMF?  It seemed to me
that having the catalog tool know about the workflow tool at a code level is
not quite right anyhow.

Any opinions?

--paul t