[Zope-CMF] Plone participation in the CMF list

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Aug 1 12:30:20 EDT 2005

> We have contributed quite a few bug fixes to CMF, though that has been
> hampered by problems getting CVS access (I sent in my contributor form
> over a year ago and have yet to hear anything; as Tres has indicated,
> this has been a problem for several other Plone developers as well).

I'm hoping that will move along faster now. That's out of the hands
of any of the active developers unfortunately.

> We have also offered some fairly substantial pieces of code to the CMF
> (Archetypes, CMFFormController, SpeedPack), but have met with
> indifference and/or active rejection.  I have several products I think
> could find a home in the CMF, but given the response to previous
> offers,
> I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to make the offer.

I don't claim to know the details of how that went down, but I
distinctly remember from the time both Tres and I were still at ZC
that Tres offered to incorporate AT and have it become part of CMF.
I'm not sure who exactly he talked to, but from what I remember that
was met with the same indifference you're attesting the CMF community.

> In general, I sense a fair amount of hostility to Plone expressed
> on the
> list in the form of gratuitous sniping.
>
> If you want us to participate, it might help to play more nicely.

I would like to note that CMF != Plone. Plone is the largest
"consumer", correct, but that doesn't mean everyone who uses CMF uses
Plone, or that individual participants are forbidden to have a
negative opinion about Plone. Life on mailing lists is tough and full
of taunts and flame throwing. The CMF list is actually one of the
least "offensive" lists I am on.

That said, I have heard some good ideas from e.g. Paul about how to
re-align the "factions" better in the future and I hope both Paul and
Tres can talk about it more in Vienna, and pull in suitable Plone
leaders. It would help everyone if the CMF side opened up a little
more to ideas coming down from Plone, and if the Plone side stopped
reinventing wheels that would be much better off (and benefit
everyone) in the CMF or other non-Plone core products.

jens