[Zope-CMF] Re: Plone participation in the CMF list

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Mon Aug 1 13:40:38 EDT 2005

--On 1. August 2005 12:53:20 -0400 Geoff Davis <geoff at phds.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:30:20 +0100, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>
>> It would help everyone if the CMF side opened up a little
>> more to ideas coming down from Plone, and if the Plone side stopped
>> reinventing wheels that would be much better off (and benefit
>> everyone) in the CMF or other non-Plone core products.
>
> Perhaps some specifics would help.
>
> * What wheels do you think Plone has reinvented?

Without thinking to long....why isn't SecureMailHost part of Zope? I agree
with Jens that ppl of the Plone community are trying to brew their own beer
instead of brewing it for the whole Zope community. I have no idea why. One
reason might be the ZPL and the Zope contributor agreement...but I think
most Z2 contributors can and do live with the ZPL and the agreement very
well. I have also a problem with putting everything under the GPL. I am
fine with putting Plone as *application* under the GPL but I have problems
with putting common frameworks under the GPL. Plone got  CMF for free under
the ZPL.  But when I was trying to get PTS released under a non-GPL for a
project it was nearly impossible to get this done (I would have to ask
every single PTS contributor for a permission)...meanwhile I reimplemented
the PTS functionality own my own (with 10% of lines of code of PTS). Plone
lives from Zope and Zope lives from Plone. I see a lot of Z2 ppl
contributing to Plone but I see only a minor number of Plone developers
contributing back to Zope/CMF (anyone else except Stefan, Sidnei ?). As
Zope 2 release manager (and Jens as CMF release manager) I would like to
see a more active participation in the Z2 and CMF development. In addition
being less piqued about license issues would help a lot.

Andreas