[Zope-CMF] Re: Re: Re: Re: VIRTUAL_URL and ACTUAL_URL (was Re: Collector Issues)

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Dec 7 01:41:40 EST 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:03:46 -0800, Andreas Jung
<lists at andreas-jung.com> wrote:

>> That's what we do, but it defeats the purpose of the variable in the
>> first  place - which was to have an easy way for Zope templating people
>> to create  anchor tags that work.
>>
> The primary reason to add ACTUAL_URL was to have a reliable variable for
> both vhost and non-vhost environment as far as I remember.

You remember wrong.

 From the bug[1]:

"The short summary is that there's no good way of getting the URL of the
current page (ie. what it actually says in the URL field) as opposed to
what Zope reports as the object URL."

VIRTUAL_URL will give you what you are describing above (since its
inclusion by default in Zope). This is *not* the use case for ACTUAL_URL.

> I can't remember
> why the implementation ended up without the query string

Because the person implementing it (and the ones that tested it, including
me) didn't notice that it didn't contain the query string. Hence, it is a
bug.

> but as you said
> you can easily deal with this issue by using a global define.

Look, I'm just trying to make Zope a bit more friendly to new developers.
Of course, this seems to not be a priority. I'll stop bitching, but the
next time people complain about Plone "putting things in the wrong layer
of the stack", I'll point them to this. If being able to use an anchor tag
 from ZPT without implementing your own variable isn't base-level
functionality, I don't know what is.

[1] http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1568 and
     http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1252