[Zope-CMF] Re: CMF 1.6 change broke Plone compatibility

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Tue Dec 20 18:53:32 EST 2005

On 20 Dec 2005, at 23:32, yuppie wrote:
>> After reading the thread you mention, which isn't all that clear
>> when it comes to outlining what the consequences of some of these
>> code changes are, I'm confused. I think I can boil it down to one
>> question: What is the use of the CMF 1.6 branch if it is not
>> compatible to Plone 2.1/2.1.1 and 2.1.2 when it comes out, and
>> possibly not even 2.2 since that's only a few months down the road?
>> I don't quite understand the distinction between "compatible with
>> products written for Plone 2.1 but not with Plone 2.1", I can't
>> see any sense in that route... it all comes back to one question:
>> What is the goal for the 1.6 branch? What specific audience is it
>> targeted at? I can see what it's apparently *not* targeted at:
>> People who work with Plone 2.1 - including those that might be
>> interested in taking up GenericSetup for their Plone product. I
>> had thought that was our audience.
>
> AFAICT the original target audience were people that want to switch
> to Plone 2.2 and reuse Products written for 2.1.
>
> That might have changed over time, but the code never reflected
> that change.

Unless someone fixes that CMFDynamicsomethingFTI thing (or the CMF
1.6 branch) people cannot even attempt to run Plone 2.1 or 2.2
against CMF 1.6. This is like a stalemate. Can you suggest how to add
a new kind of factory information class similar to appending it to
that typeClasses structure so Martin can fix the Plone code for
whatever release they want to make CMF 1.6-compatible then?

jens