[Zope-CMF] [DCWorkflow] active workflows

Julien Anguenot ja at nuxeo.com
Fri Jan 7 10:51:33 EST 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:
| I have a need for "active" workflows, i.e. workflows where transitions
| can happen automatically after some time has expired.
| I plan to extend DCWorkflow to support this.
|
| Currently, my concept looks like this:
|
|   States are extended by optional scripts "script_on_entry"
|   and "script_on_exit".
|
|   If defined, "script_on_entry" is executed when a transition
|   enters the state (after the transition's 'script_after').
|
|   If defined, "script_on_exit" is executed when a transition
|   leaves the state (before the transition's 'script_before').

I like this. (Even outside of your context)

| I plan to use this extension as follows to implement an
| "active" state:
|
|   Such a state has
|
|    * variables "initial_delay" and "repeated_delay",
|
|    * a special transition "probe" that remains in state and
|      has a "script_before" "reschedule"
|
|    * a "script_on_entry" "schedule" and a "script_on_exit"
|      "unschedule"
|
|    * at least one automatic transition that can leave the state
|
|   The "*schedule" scripts use a scheduling service to
|   schedule the "probe" transition after
|   "initial_delay" (for 'schedule') and 'repeated_delay' (for
'reschedule').
|   'unschedule' cancels the scheduling request.
|
|   The scheduling service calls "probe" at the given time.
|   This reschedules and then checks for automatic
|   transitions. If one is electable and leaves the state,
|   the schedule request is canceled.
|

| What do you think about this approach?

Actually, I don't think I would like to see that kind of scheduling
features hooked on the workflow. Another service should take care of that.

| Is the DCWorkflow extension interesting enough to become
| part of the official sources?

For the script_on_exit and script_on_entey +1. For the rest -1 ;)

	J.

- --
Julien Anguenot | Nuxeo (Paris, France)
mail: anguenot at nuxeo.com; tel: +33 (0) 6 72 57 57 66