[Zope-CMF] Re: CMFSetup: non-ascii text

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Fri Jul 1 11:52:21 EDT 2005

Hi Florent!

Florent Guillaume wrote:
> In many places, CMFSetup exports and imports things like titles and
> descriptions. For instance, for the workflow states and transitions.
> These fields can often, outside the USA, contain non-ascii strings.  How
> do we export and reimport them ?

It would be nice if CMFSetup would work with non-ascii strings, but for
me this has a low priority. I use English for all settings and the i18n
machinery to translate them.

> 1. We can export by converting them to unicode, and the ZPT will  render
> that as UTF-8. Which charset do we assume ? Anything better  than
> "locale.getlocale()[1] or 'latin1'" ?

CMF 1.5 has a default_charset property, but not before the site
properties are set up. I think the charset used by CMFSetup should be
configurable.

> 2. When importing, do we set the values (attributes) as unicode, or  do
> we try to re-convert to the above charset...

CMF needs a lot of testing / refactoring to make it work with unicode
settings. At the moment this is no option.

A related thread is here:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2004-October/021345.html

And here is the collector issue:
http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/292