[Zope-CMF] Re: Caching policy manager binding inconsistency

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Mar 7 05:11:37 EST 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:55, yuppie wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> If there are no objections I am going to add "context" as bound name
>> to the TAL expression context used in CPM-related expressions. I
>> won't remove "content" because that will break everyone.
>> This is going into HEAD and, if there are no objections, the
>> CMF-1_5-branch as well. Speak up now or forever hold your peace, or
>> something like that.
>> See here: http://www.zope.org/Collectors/CMF/328
>
> +1 for reducing inconsistencies, but:
>
> - I prefer to have only *one* recommended name. Aliases provided for
> backwards compatibility should be marked as deprecated.
>
> - Adding 'context' in createCPContext would make CPM expressions more
> consistent with Page Template expressions, but not with all the other
> TAL expressions and formatted strings in CMF. I'm not sure if
> 'context' would make sense in all these places.

Well yes, deprecation warnings could be stuck in there somehow. And the
available bound names should be explained on the (as yet not existing)
Hurt System page to go with the "Policies" ZMI tab.

I appreciate your comment about other actions in the CMF but just
stating that won't solve any problem. Make suggestions, please, or
enumerate other places you know about so that it is possible to map out
where expressions are used so that it's possible to map out all the
various usage patterns and find those things, like "content", that
stick out and are likely to trip up people.

Yes, it is possible to argue on some theoretical plane that
non-standard naming patterns should be kept, but when someone falls on
their face because of it and I can't come up with some acceptable
explanation why "special name X" is used, that proves to me it's no
good.

jens