[Zope-CMF] Integrating CMF and non-CMF content

Dean Stringer deans at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Mar 14 15:42:05 EST 2005

Hi folks,

What practice would you recommend when a client has a need
for a site that is met largely by the CMF but has a couple
of minor special needs that require engineering something
not part of the CMF, or that doesn't need to be managed
in a CMF like way (i.e. more of a traditional custom CGI
like app rather than content/document management)

Should we be engineering a new content/object type in our
CMF (or integrating an existing Zope/collective product
into the CMF) or provide separate URL spaces for the client
where one is CMF content and managed, and the other
conventional ZPT based stuff, e.g.

  http://www.somesite.com/docs/        <- a CMF instance
  http://www.somesite.com/something/    <- non-CMF ZPT stuff
  http://www.somesite.com/wiki/        <- e.g ZWiki instance

FYI, we looked into Plone some time back after considering
the content and object types we thought would be required by
clients.  At this stage we are intending to customise a
lighter-weight solution based on the CMF rather than using Plone.

cheers,
Dean Stringer
WebTeam : ITS Division : University of Waikato
http://phonebook.waikato.ac.nz/dept/WWTE.html

 "Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon."
    Alan Perlis