[Zope-CMF] Re: backporting GenericSetup to CMF-1.5

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Sat Nov 12 09:04:02 EST 2005

Hi Rob!

Rob Miller wrote:
> those of us planning out the next Plone releases are in a bit of a bind.
>  we really want to make use of GenericSetup's newer Z3-interface-based
> means of defining import and export handlers, so that we can start work
> on rewriting our migration engine to use XML import and export, and so
> we can keep up w/ CMF 2.0 as it moves forward.
[...]
> to this end, it would be very useful for us to have a 1.5-compatible
> version of CMF that makes use of the newer Generic/CMFSetup semantics.
> this would allow us to use the new site creation code (which we've
> nearly completed) in our next release without breaking backwards
> compatibility with the existing add-on products.  this would also make
> it easier to keep up w/ CMF trunk development w/o having to maintain two
> radically different branches of Plone.  CMF 2.X would be required, of
> course, with the subsequent release.
>
> how do folks feel about this?  (note that we, i.e. the plone developers,
> are willing to do the work.)  would you be willing to have an additional
> 1.5 release, or perhaps a 1.6 release, which includes these changes? our
> current tentative release schedule has a Plone alpha in late december,
> beta in february, release some time in march.

CMF 1.5 is Zope 2.7 compatible. A Zope 2.7 compatible version of
GenericSetup would be a lot of work and it would loose the new semantics
because they depend on Five features.

But if Plone 2.2 requires Zope 2.8 it should be easy to use CMF 1.5 with
GenericSetup 2.0 instead of CMFSetup 1.5. Except for the CMF specific
handlers that should work out of the box.

A CMF 1.6 release that requires Zope 2.8 and essentially bundles CMF 1.5
with GenericSetup 2.0 (and compatible CMF setup handlers) might be a
good idea.

GenericSetup is still a moving target. I would not create a branch for
1.6 before 2.0 has stabilized.

Cheers,

	Yuppie