[Zope-CMF] Re: [dev] GenericSetup: more refactoring - a small proposal

yuppie y.2005- at wcm-solutions.de
Tue Nov 15 13:17:23 EST 2005

Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:
>> The setup handlers for adapter based import / export are just
>> boilerplate. I'd like to move the complete responsibility for setting up
>> tools to importToolset / exportToolset.
>
> - -1, if I understand correctly, because it assumes too much.  I *want* to
> make each tool'w setup explicit, rather than guessing at it from the
> tool's ID>

I can't see any guessing involved. The mapping from the tool ID to the
ID of the XML file is well defined.

Profiles would not contain an XML file for each tool. But that's nothing
new: Import steps are currently skipped if the related XML file doesn't
exist. And that's quite often the case in extension profiles.

>> This would make writing and maintaining tool handlers much simpler. On
>> the other hand we loose some flexibility:
>
> Exactly.  Lets work on getting all the handlers done, and generalize later.

My hope was that the proposed change would make it easier to write the
handlers. But given the doubts raised by Florent and you I put this
proposal on hold.

There are other unresolved issues and discussing this proposal might be
easier at a later point.

> [...]
>
> I'll need a lot more detail on the proposal, in particular w.r.t. the
> timeframe I'm proposing for a 2.0 release.

'alpha' has no special meaning to me in that context, we are in 'alpha'
since 1.5 is branched. So the relevant date for getting things done is
the 'beta' in mid December - that's one month from now. Right?

Cheers,

	Yuppie