[Zope-CMF] Re: backporting GenericSetup to CMF-1.5

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Tue Nov 15 13:50:54 EST 2005

Raphael Ritz wrote:

<--SNIP-->

> Now my questions: is the outline given above correct?
> At least w.r.t. the big picute?

in a general sense, i think yes.

> If so: Having this in place shouldn't this allow for easy
> extension to  multiple catalogs (like the uid or reference
> catalogs from AT) by simply registering them as further
> subscribers to the respective events? How to do that?
> (RTFM manual pointers welcome; maybe I just need to
> read Philipp's chapter on sites and local utilies again
> but as of now I don't see how you get this together with
> the TTW generation of arbirary many CMF and/or Plone
> sites in one Zope instance).
>
> If this would be all true, is it correct to infer
> then that this is something Plone shouldn't have to
> deal with at all (except for configuration)?

i think this is mostly correct.  in the CatalogMultiplex scenario,
however, you have multiple catalogs, and different content types
registered with one or more of them.  in this case we'd still need to
preserve somewhere this catalog:type registry mapping.  also, while it
would be possible to have each catalog as an event listener, checking
the registry to see if (un)indexing is appropriate, it would be more
efficient to have the registry itself being the listener, delegating
only to the appropriate catalogs based on the type of object being
manipulated.

-r