[Zope-CMF] Re: GenericSetup-based installation backport mostly complete

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Wed Nov 16 15:33:10 EST 2005

yuppie wrote:
> Hi Rob!
>

> Rob Miller wrote:
>
>> i managed to get the lion's share of the GenericSetup-based
>> installation backported to the 1.6 branch tonight.  the unit tests
>> need to be fixed up, and i haven't done anything with the CMFTopic
>> extension profile yet, but it is possible to add a functional CMF site
>> TTW.  i'll work on getting the tests to pass and the CMFTopic profile
>> working later this week.
>

> Great!
>
>> this is my first foray into working directly on the CMF, please let me
>> know if i miss anything w.r.t. dev process, documentation, etc.
>> additional eyes on the changes i've made also appreciated.
>

> 1.) Please subscribe to the CMF-checkins list. This way your checkins
> will show up in that list and additional eyes can see them.

urgh.  i have to subscribe?  i use gmane to follow all of the lists...
*sigh*

> 2.) Please set svn:keywords Id on new python files.

/me reads svn docs to learn about svn:keywords.

> If you copy files
> from an other branch, it's better to use svn copy. That preserves the
> history and svn properties.

ah, right.  will do.

> 3.) I'm a bit surprised how much of the TypesTool changes you ported
> back.

all i did was move the FTI factory methods out of the TypesTool class
and into the module.  this makes it possible for the FTIs to be added to
the types tool using the regular GenericSetup.utils.ObjectManagerHelpers
mechanism, otherwise "Factory-based Type Information" won't exist in
Products.meta_types.

i did this because i'm trying to match CMF trunk's site creation
mechanisms as much as possible.  it's possible (probable, even) that
there are side effects that i'm missing here, though.

> And that PortalGenerator is gone. Those changes potentially break
> products that work with CMF 1.5.

yes, i guess this can be put back in.

> 4.) At least CMF 2.0 TypesTool and ActionsTool have modifications that
> make it impossible to use the CMF 2.0 handlers for CMF 1.5 code. I guess
> you have to modify CMFSetup and use some CMF 1.5 handlers to get
> everything working.

i've got all this working, or at least i think i do.  are the TypesTool
changes the ones i was mentioning above?

for the ActionsTool, creating actions as full blown objects of course
isn't working.  all i had to do to get this working, though, was to
remove some code from
CMFCore.exportimport.actions.ActionsToolNodeAdapter.  at first i
modified this code to actually add actions to the action providers in
the old manner, but was surprised to see that the actions were all added
twice; i guess the tool initializations handle adding the actions
themselves.

i might be missing some key points here, though.  /me looks forward to
being enlightened.

-r